Re: [auto-x] I Luv my new Kumho's

--Iain Mannix <mannix@secretignition.com> wrote:

> At 11:08 AM -0500 08/04/1998, Mark Mages wrote:
> >MHO - the designers / engineers of the tire probably spent a few
minutes
> >figuring out the best way to get traction / life out of your tire,
and it it
> >says "Mount this side out" there just might be a reason....
> >mark
>
> I agree, there probably is a reason.  However, I spoke with Kumho at
one
> point about whether they would make a wide 13" tire, and in that
> discussion, we talked about tire wear/BFG/etc, and he stated
something to
> the effect of "because we don't use an asymmetrical sidewall, you
can flip
> the tire on the rim when the insides get low."

<SNIP>

In fact even though they claim to have an Aesemetric design they all
(set of 4)come from the same mold.  If you order a set of 4 you will
be like "What the...." when you go to mount them and you notice the
"Rotation" arrows will only match up on one side of the car.  Bizzare.

A number of locals have flipped them with success.  The reason I think
is because the tread that they come with is much more shallow than the
R1's so after a hand full of events you essentially have slicks with 2
grooves running almost centered down the tire.  Like I said it looks
like the grooved tires in Formula 1 at that point.

> Regarding pressures/alignment, I'd guess that it would want tons of
camber,
> a good bit of pressure.  Many have stated that they are using higher
than
> BFG pressures - this does not surprise me, and being a conventional
tire,
> I'd probably look for as much camber as possible for starters.

Right, I needed at least 5psi more.  My impression is the sidewall is
a little less firm then the R1's, but the stickier compound more then
makes up for it.

One more correction on a previous post of mine I said 205.55.15,
should have been 205.55.14.
==
- -Paul
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan