Re: [auto-x] I Luv my new Kumho's

>>On shaving, the consensus among many is NOT to shave them.
>
>That's been the word on the R-1's as well. My next set wont be shaved no
>matter the brand! :)

Laugh, I don't know - if I ever bought another R1, I'd shave.  My last set
of new R1s were slow for a LONG time, as they wore, they got faster.
Basically, a slow tire is sorta useless, IMHO, so I'd rather have a shaved
tire with (arguably) shorter lifespan - if the tire works at 100% for all
the events, I'm happy.  If I get a tire which lasts 20 events, but is only
fast for 10, I'll be mad.  If I can buy a tire which lasts ten but is fast
ten, I'm happy.  Don't know.  I took a set off last year because I thought
they were getting slow - I put them on this winter, got another 60-70 runs
out of them, and the day they corded they were going plenty fast!  Some say
that a shaved tire lasts as long as unshaved - I believe this to be true
for heavier cars, not so much VWs.  Not researched it.  Don't need to shave
them redneck tars!  Hoosiers are schnitzen, but they don't last as long as
R1s, no question about it. I think I'll get 100ish runs out of a set of
Hoosiers, where my R1s went 150-200sih, lost count, drove them on the
street occasionally(no-no on Hoosiers), did Trials on them, etc.

>Makes sense. I did this with my old Yoko's ALL the time. (Been thru MANY
>Yoko's!) My R-1's were so bald that there is not even a hint of tread on
>them.They're perfectly slick, except for the parts where the groove of
>doom erupted... and a few, lets call them, "small" patches of rubber has
>come off.

Can't kill a Chokingllama!  I got a set of A008RSIIs a couple of years ago
- - they had been shaved, run 3 runs at Nationals, then sat for 2 years.  I
ran them at 6 or 7 events, on the street(all the time), at some Trials.
Eventually gave them to someone else, he got 3-4 more events out of them.
When I got them, they still had hints of shavermarks on them.  When I gave
them away, they were smooth - NO tread.  I told the guy I gave them to that
they might cord next run, the price was right, he got a LOT more out of
them.  Durable tire.

>I try to get maximum use out of my equipment, even if it does go a little
>too far......
>Im thinking about taking two of the "Better" R1 tires and using them up
>front. Then use my street tires in the rear for the next event.

That's scary, Shawn.  A guy did that here on a GTI, actually, they were
Yokohamas on the front, and the car was _way_ out of shape most of the
time.  A bit too much of the desired effect.

There's a set of 225/45-13 Autocrossers for sale on T.Net - $150.  I hate
those tires, but they _can_ be fast, they don't want much camber, shrug, I
might get them if I were in your shoes!  They don't turn in, but OTOH,
Steve Randall, fastest VW at Nationals many times over uses them with
_great_ results.  I don't know how, but he does;).

I.Mannix