Re: good bye!

At 07:56 PM 8/2/98 +0000, you wrote:
>Adios Amigo, I'm finally sick and tired of this list.

Me too!

>I'm also sick of all the "Me too's"
>stereotypical messages.

Dooh, sorry...

>I guess I just have been on this list too long. There really needs to
>just be a searchable archive like the CCA Corrado list has. There
>people can search for answers to their questions...how many damn
>times have we gone over the suspension discussion, or fuel enrichment
>devices or body kits?

  I vaguely seem to recall you asking about cam timing over and over again,
and having to repeatedly explain what it is, and it still took you forever
to get it right. So maybe beating a subject into the ground is a good way
for people to get the point, if they missed it the first time. Or maybe not
everyone was around the last time a subject was discussed, and they have
some differing view point they would like to share on the subject. If you
don't like the subject, sort the messages by subject, grab all the messages
up, and trash the things.

  It would be nice to have a searchable archive. I made a rudimentary
search program, and told Etrik where it was to check it out, but somewhere
along the line that ball got dropped(maybe by me, I don't remember). Much
easier than trying to write one would be using an existing one. I've seen
crappy ones, and I've seen good ones. The best I've seen is the one for the
DIY_EFI mailing list. But it requires some playing around with the web
server to get it working. Can the owner of www.scirocco.org do this? Or
does anyone have root access to a machine directly on the net, that would
be willing to host the search site?

>Filters, shove the mail filters up ya'll ass. I'm not about to waste
>my time trying to bandaid a problem. , stop the problem at the
>source, don't force people to have to  auto delete messages, stop the
>crap from being sent in the first place

Unfortunately, people have differing opinions on what should be posted to
the list. And we can't limit list access only to geniuses. Besides, I'd get
lonely posting messages to just myself;). If you have a problem with a
particular persons posts, a particular subject, or anything else about an
email. you can set a filter up for it so that you don't have to see it. Its
much easier than whining about someone posting on the subject. Filters are
easy to do, and take much less time than the email you wrote. It also
allows you to still get the posts you find interesting. You don't have to
unsub. Another alternative would be to start your own mailing list, and be
the moderator, so that all messages go through you before they are posted.
That way only on topic messaes are posted to the list. But thats still much
more effort than filtering. Setting up filters is so easy, it probably just
as easy as unsubbing. But if the concept of something as technical as
filtering scares you that much, unsubbing is probably best for you anyhow.
And maybe after you unsub, you should sell your computer.

>rules, do you people even know the rules of this list? Most lists
>sends it out 4 times a year to remind people.

This is a complaint that should be taken up with the list maintainer, no
need to air this anywhere else.

Brad