Re: little black "top hat" bushings

Those black bushings DO NOT go where the wieghted shifter rod with
the two little clips are, that is where the bigger white bushings go.

The little black bushings go it two places, the first set goes under
the shifter about half-way back the car, where the rod you hold on to
goes through to the rod that runs forward.  There is a rubber booty
over that connection with a solid plastic disk on the bottom.  Be
careful to put things back together the way they came apart.

The second set of bushings go at the back of the tranny where the two
shifter rods meet.  That little 90 degree pivot piece with the two
balls on it?  That piece unbolts to show the two pieces of the
bushing.

I always grease these black bushings before I install them.

The soft rubber washers are meant to keep the grease in the shifter
rod ends that snap over the balls, and also to keep dirt out of those
connections.

HTH

Ken Buck
Philadelphia Region SCCA Solo II Chair
78 DSP VW Scirocco regional champ 94, 95, 97
85 VW Scirocco dirt Thunder Car
"1997 Rookie of the Year" Linda's Speedway
Rusty 78 Scirocco daily driver
(2) '80 Sciroccos- project cars- for sale