AGB transmission / top end / CAM's

     <:Shawn Meze wrote>

:According to my chart, the AGB and the 2Y are geared exactly the same.

That is what baffels me, as the drag race with my buddy's 16v 2Y, the
only difference being I am 'lower' w/16" wheels, have a brand new
distributor and 120,000 miles and he has 98,000 miles and bone stock.

:You have the 1.44 3rd gear which should net you a 90 mph @ redline,
:according to the chart on my car test program.

Thank you for validating, most glare at me in disbelief, until I take
em for a ride.

:Other stats that the program tells me<snip>

:0-60.  8.2 seconds.
seems correct, as it doesnt come alive until after 50mph

:1/4 time. 16.4 @84.6mph.
also seems close

:top speed.  115mph.
uh uh, I leap from 80mph to 120's frequently on the freeway, and as stated
earlier on occasion have hit the 130.5 mark (honestly though it took longer to
go from 120->130.5 than from 0->100 or 100->120--about 30seconds)

:It tells me my top speed is 119mph but just yesterday I hit what should
:be 125 on the 120 mph spedo easily on a long flat section of freeway
:playing with a BMW. So, its a good reference program but maybe not
:completely reliable.

Ohhhhh shit, I just realized a mod I had that my buddy didn't, the "Ryan"
air-box psuedo-ram air modification.

Another theory after some late night reading leads me to believe my CAM
timing is retarded some.  I have driven at least 4 other 16v Scirocco's all
of which are torqueier at the low end then mine, but mine always seemed
torqier at the top end.  After I bought the car 5yrs ago the FIRST thing I
did was the timing belt, and performance has been consistent over the last
five years and 30,000 miles.  Soooo is it possible when doing the belt my
CAM went a little retarded?  Ignintion timing is at factory specs....

While on the subject of the CAM, has anyone had any experience with
adjustable cam sprockets?

-Paul
90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
87 Scirocco 16v