Followup to rear disc conversion

Last week, I bored you all with my story of woe regarding the swap to rear
discs on my pet 82 8v. I will not bore you much further, except to say that
I completed the swap yesterday, and most everything seems to be working
well. Of course, I have a few questions:

The parking brake doesn't work now. The cables seem stuck, and pulling hard
on the lever resulted in a broken lever. :( Actually, it's just the little
metal lip that holds the bracket that the cables screw into. I suppose that
I'll now have to replace the lever (Wrecking yard hounds: which cars do we
share this lever with?) After I get the lever replaced, what do you all
suggest I try to get the parking brake working? Also, after sitting for a
long while, the discs themselves became quite corroded, and the backing
plates were bent to hell. I'll be looking for some new (to me, at least)
backing plates when I take the discs off to have them machined... After
taking it out for a few runs, the corrosion *sort of* wore off, but it's
still quite evident. My worry is that the brakes aren't actually doing any
work, and the improvement that I'm feeling is due to the stainless steel
lines and fresh fluid. Is my concern valid, or is it normal for the discs
to stay 'dirty' for a while? Also, after parking the car after a good
drive, I let it sit for a few minutes, and then decided to check the
temperatures of the discs themselves. The front vented discs were a great
deal hotter than the rear solid discs. This seems to confirm my original
concern that the rear discs aren't really doing much.

FWIW, this is my setup: Front Vented 9.4" discs, Metalmaster pads, rear
stock 16v discs, whatever pads that are on there (in decent shape, but will
be replaced once the funds are back...) stainless steel lines, DOT 4 fluid.
I haven't upgraded the master cylinder, and have left my stock
proportioning valves. Some that I spoke with told me that the rears may
lock up without the prop. valves, but as I said before, I think that the
rears aren't doing enough...

Thanks again,

Greg
82 8v