Re: Exhaust Problem/HP??

> This may be seen as blasphemy....but;  Bently isn't ALWAYS right.

 You're right, that IS Blasphemy :). Maybe if it was only Bentley I'd seen
it in, I'd buy that it could be wrong. But I've seen these figures in many
places. The only places I've seen 90 hp figures for 85 up JH engines was
articles by people who didn't know what they're talking about, and generic
repair manuals.

   The great VW&P VW engine mod chart(Oct. 90 issue) lists the JH engines
split into two sections, the 83-84 making 90hp, and the 85 up making 94hp.
This was hashed over in the newsgroup a few years ago, I don't know if
anyone ever came up with a conclusive difference, but one possibilty that I
recall being mentioned was the pre 85s had a full size spare, while the 85
and laters had a half size. Possibly the exhaust was routed differently?
I remember from when I bought my Techtonics downpipe that Techtonics has
different systems for the scirocco II, with the split somewhere around the
84 1/2 time that the half size spare was introduced, so I think its sounds
quite possible that there are two different routings for the exhaust
depending on the spare tire size.

  Ok, Mike Potter, I'm sure YOU know whether or not there really are any
differences, and probably exactly what they are. Feel free to quit lurking
just long enough to answer this one;)

Brad