RE: Exhaust Problem

Most 1983-1987 1.8 liters sold in the US make 85 (base model Golf, Jetta,
Fox) or 90 hp (Scirocco) depending on the emission equipment and the exact
model of car.  I believe the Digifant equipped 1.8 liter engines in 1988 and
up make 100 hp, again it depends on the model (the exhaust system in
particular).  Don't some of the later 1.8 GTI/GLI engines put out 105 hp
stock?

Anyway... my main point is that the formula for horsepower has NOTHING to do
with bore and stroke.  That's displacement you're thinking of.  For an actual
horsepower figure, you need to know the torque at a given RPM.  That's how
dyno's work, by directly or indirectly measuring torque.  The formula for HP
is:

HP = RPM x Torque (ft-lbs) / 5252

Class dismissed. :)

-Bradley
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter, Quaife, mods, mods, etc., etc.
1987 Quantum Wagon Syncro FOR SALE now.
http://effervescent.com/btp/vw.html