RE: transmission serial numbers and info

I'm pretty sure the older wide-ratio five speed transmissions have a .75
fifth gear which is a real "cruiser"... a MAJOR reduction in RPM from the
stock 5th gear (.89?) in a close-ratio gearbox.  It could actually lower your
top speed because, depending on your engine, you may not have the same or
enough HP at the new, lower RPMs to keep climbing in speed.

I run a .805 fifth in my 16V and am rather pleased with it.  Hasn't hurt my
top end, but then I have a 2.0 liter and really needed the extra "legs" the
new gear provided.

-Bradley
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter, Quaife, mods, mods, etc., etc.
http://effervescent.com/btp/vw.html