RE: Burning oil part 2

Smoking when you first start it is valve stem seals, typically.  Most engines
with worn rings smoke more when the oil heats up and gets thinner.

Make sure your 16V isn't over-filled with oil.  16Vs are known to suck oil
out of that big breather hose on the front of the block.  In fact, I've seen
them virtually GULP oil and spew huge clouds of bluish-white smoke when
overfilled by one quart and at full throttle over 4500 RPM.  Scared the shit
out of me, actually, because I was driving the car!

By the way, I'm not sure, but the 2.0 liter shortblock might require
machining the oil/coolant ports a bit on the 1.8 16V head.  Can anyone else
confirm if this is true or not?

-Bradley
1986 Scirocco 16V 2.0 liter, Quaife, etc., etc.
http://effervescent.com/btp/vw.html