Synthetic Motor Oil

Hey All,

I use Castrol Syntec 10w30 & Fram oil filters in my 8v.  I have been
religiously changing my oil every 4000kms.  (2500 mi)  I drive like a
Demon frequently, and since I've owned the car (1 year) I haven't
noticed any degrade in engine performance.  Perhaps that's also
because I've never pushed it past 6000rpm.  I think the oil is pretty
good, even if you have to spend 30$ on an oil+filter change.

I've heard that going to a synthetic can wreak havok with your seals,
opening up the little gaps that are filled with gunk and causing them
to leak, and to some extent this is true I guess.  Synthetic does
have additives that clean out your oil system.  Engine gunk is
good at stopping leaks though. If you have a pretty tight engine,
not a seeper, or are willing to "mark your spot" with expensive oil,
consider changing over.  Your car will love you for it.

ps I don't work for Castrol
Chad Ptasinski
1985 8V Scirocco
happy thing of the month: T-shirt /w "farfrompukin" logo
"http://www.cadvision.com/Home_Pages/accounts/chadwick/"