Rear axle/disc brake swap...

Hiya!

I've been offered a really hot deal on a rear axle/disc brake setup and some Neuspeed sways. I'm buying them from the guy that I bought my motor from, and he only wants $500 CDN (that's $350 USD, Shawn and the other exchange-challenged among us...) for the works. The sways are 22 & 25, I know that I could be going bigger, but hey, it's an '82, and has none on there at all now!

I don't know too much about the axle, other than it's not from a Scirocco. He tells me it's a pretty straight forward swap, only thing is that I'll be spending the afternoon on my back...

Should I do a master cylinder swap at the same time? If I go combing junkyards for one, what years/models will do?  I've noticed that for stainless lines, you need a 4 line kit for drums, and a 6 line kit for rear discs. I look in the haynes, and there only seems to be one line going into each rear caliper. What's the story there? I will be going to S/S lines, BTW, when my finances recover. Finally, what's the deal with the proportioning valve? Does it need to be set, or is it automatic?

Does anyone have any hints of what else I should be prepared for? I've looked in the Haynes (I know, I know... get the Bentley...) and it looks pretty straight-forward, but I've done enough of this sort of work to realize that there are ALWAYS surprises.

Thanks in advance!

Greg
82 Scirocco
91 Jetta