RE: remanufactured parts

Owen wrote:

        I just wrecked my right rear caliper on my 87 16v.  I dont
think the
brake fluid had been changed in the life of the car.  So when i went
to undo
the bleeder screw on the rr it was totally rusted shut and with the
slightest bit of pressure it snapped.  Our efforts to get it out with
an
easy out didn't make anything easy.  I broke off inside the bleeder
screw.
So now you could say i'm screwed(ha).  My question is first does
anyone know
what i could do to avoid replacing it (especially since i just
finished
painting the calipers a few days before)

Well you could dry drilling out the old bleeder valve stem and then
inserting a new one (but you must be verrrrrry cafeful).  Actually,
I'm not even sure that this will work; I tried it on the premis that
it seemed logical, but after all the care to get it right and being
psyched that the new bleeder valve fit, once I got it on the car and
hooked up, the valve leaked.  I think I drilled down too far into the
caliber.  Even though I was not successful, I believe it is possible
(maybe even worth it since you want to save your new paint job).

 and if i do need a new one, I'm not exactly prepared to shell out
$600 for a new one at the dealership,  is the remanufacturing done by
VW, or private companies?

I would avoid the dealer if at all possible.  Call your local
junkyard, see what they got (you know, I should become a full time
junkyard advocate).  I'm not familiar with the 87 16v brakes at all,
and I may be naÔve, but I've pulled about three different calibers off
cars in a junkyard, cleaned em up and have had no problems.  I'm not
saying this is always the case, I don't actually know a lot about the
actual insides of a caliber (maybe I should disect one).  Anyone,
anyone??  Anyway, $600 for a caliber is REDICULOUS.  Also, how do you
remanufacture a caliber?

That's my $.02,

John
80 Scirocco S