Re: Euro-Bumpers?

On Tue, 16 Sep 1997, SHAWN C MEZE wrote:

> On Tue, 16 Sep 1997 10:30:01 -0700 (PDT) "A. Bjorkheim"
> >> Sounds really good to me. BTW are Euro Bumpers legal here?
> >

> >     To my knowledge, NOPE.  They arent 5MPH certified, or so I am
> >told...
> >
> > Andre'
>

> They're not even close to being US legal. But, compared to not having
> bumpers at all, (Like every "Cal look" bug on the road.) id say its
> better! (And im not removing my euro bumpers for nuthin'!! Pbthhhh!!!!
>
>               Shawn Meze

Right.  They're not technically legal in the States, but it would have to
be a very with it and hair splitting cop to be a problem.  I drove my
Rabbit around without a rear bumper for a few months a couple of years
ago, got pulled over once during that time (cop was looking for someone
else, asked for ID and sent me on my way), he said nothing about the lack
of bumper.  Hell, I had BALD race tires on the car at the time, it was the
Saturday night of a two day event, and without the bumper, the tires are
in plain sight.  I'd be really, really surprised if a cop would even
suspect bumper legality if you had Euro bumpers on the car, most cops
don't know what bumpers came on what car - if it has bumpers, it must be
OK, right?  Hell, when I had no bumper, I had bald tires, no cat, illegal
headlights and a rather loud exhaust to boot.  Nothing.  Still have no
cat and illegal headlights, never have any problems.

Mannix(DSP is the only place where Euro bumpers are illegal;)