Re: MY Car's Mods and a few problems......

On Thu, 11 Sep 1997 23:20:58 -0500 "Aaron D. Patton"
<apatton1@airmail.net> writes:

>I was under the impression that having your oil get over 100C was a
>somewhat desireable thing.  If it does not, how else does it burn off
>moisture and some of the lighter crud that will inevitably accumulate?

It will burn off moisture at temps below 100C but not as fast as it would
at say 115C. According to most any racing team, higher oil temps also
give more HP too, FWIW. Basically, 220F is pretty much the temp that most
oils perform at their peak with minimun break down in viscosity.

> VW puts the redline on the factory oil temp gauge in my '79 S at 150C,
so
>I guess they must think that higher temperatures are not entirely
>undesireable.  Or am I completely off the mark?

Yikes!! 150C is about 330F!!!! Ive had my oil temp there on one occasion
of racing and that was the day I decided to get an oil cooler. I planed
on continuing racing in the future so getting one was pretty much
neccessary for me under those circumstances.
Oil temps up to that mark is well within the limits. If your just putting
around town and your seeing high temps like that then id say its a good
warning that there is something causing it and it might not be pretty.
About a couple months after my high oil temp experience I spun a rod
bearing. Maybe it wasn't related to the high oil temps since I was racing
it and it was also a very hot day but im sure it didn't help it any!

>   I have a 5qt oil pan
>and the late model removeable-pickup oil pump with the clip on plastic
>windage tray/ baffle, and I run 15w-50 Mobil1 that I change every 3-4k
miles.

That's a bit overdoing it on the oil changes with the synthetic, dontcha
think? They say 7k is easily dooable with synthetic oil. (Change the
filter at 3-4k.) Why do you change it like its regular oil? Habit or to
be cautious?

>And, I run a mostly water mixture (90/10) in my cooling system, with the
>addition of a bottle of Water Wetter, that I flush/change on a yearly
>basis.  And still a hard but short run late at night will push the oil
>temp to approx. 130C ahd the water temp to 3/4.  But I never approach
the
>redline on either gauge.
>My .02$.
>Aaron
>:-) >

Ive heard good things about Wetter Water. Why the 90/10 ratio? Almost
everything ive heard about or been told about coolant is that 50/50 is
perfect. If you have a more of a water ratio it encourages corrosion,
doesn't lubricate the water pump and tends to boil off quicker. Too much
coolant and it eats seals/gaskets.

Your late night run's of 130C, do you have an oil cooler?
3/4 on the water temp is about 190-200F That's perfectly normal
especially if the oil temps are high. I have noticed that the addition of
my Thermostated oil cooler has had a direct effect on the relationship
between the oil and water temps. Now that the oil temps are lower, the
water temps are lower too. Id say that your water temp is nothing to
worry about at all.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and