Gearbox problems

:

Jason Brunberg <stoopid@idirect.com> writes
> And someone want to give a crash course on what all of these
>number/letter combos mean?  I assume that these are tranny codes
>or something, right?

the first 2 or 3(later models) letters are the code of the tranny.
This tells you which ratio is inside.
The other numbers are the date codes of when it was built. Forgot how
the code works ie.. what date the numbers mean. Probably have it
buried in my reference books.

here is a webpage with some info on the self machining problem
http://www.newdimensions.com/ND_Tips.html

It looks like the close ratio boxes as well as the 16V boxes have
problems. The 16V have quite a few ring gear rivet breakage and the
differential pinion shaft problem on the close ratio.

Also the gearoil is not the cause of any of the problems and we only
use Redline for over 10 years now and it is one of the best. We see
many people not understand that the VW's must have GL-4 and not GL-5
as many shops use.

BTW- Just got the VW Power magazine in today. Looks nice and yes
mostly old articles but they used new pics and it is worth the
$3.95. They do not say anything about it becoming a regular mag
but if we all write and ask for it we may get it. E-car is
really getting bad as I can read the VW stuff in 5 minutes now.
WE NEED VW POWER.

turbotim@newdimensions.com
http://www.newdimensions.com