Re: Cylinder Head and Supertrap

Sorry if this header is messed up....Anyways

Most of you guys must not be well experianced with the super trap at all if
you base your judgement on sound only.

I have a super trap on my car and they have to be the MOST configureable
exhaust out there. I mean all you have to do to change the sound is add or
subtract a few relief plates. All you guys have ever heard are the guys
running no relief plates (which sounds like hell's thunder). But I would
have to say that this is not (i would hope not) the normal settings for
these exhausts. Mine is so quiet that people (When they do not look) do not
believe that i have a super trap. I too thought they were way to boisterous
and told my local vw parts place they could stick there super trap until
the owner took me out to his G60 GTI and showed me how it sounded. It
sounds great. I know everyone likes a differant sound but I have seroisly
yet met a person who does not like the sound of my super trap over the more
expensive Borla. I would also like to add that the super trap (with the
plates in) release a hell of alot more pressure. I wish people would set
these exhausts up right so they do not get such a bad rep. BTW anyone who
wishes to get one, Invest in the stainless steel. Its gourgous!

At 9:22 PM -0700 9/2/97, Brad Sheridan wrote:

>> Ok Does anyone know whats the torque for 16v Head to block. . ?

I don't, but not 87 in/lbs;).

   I got a
>> small leak and I think it just needs to be retorqued . . . Theres only
>>130 tp
>> 140 miles on the new engine so I don't think it's the seal. . . Anyway I
>>Just
>> replaced my muffler cause it rusted and I dont like the sound and it
feels a
>> bit more restrictive. . . So I was thinking about adding a Supertrap to the
>> end of my techtonics piping. . . Does anyone know how this sounds or
>>have any
>> experience with the set up. . .

>  I had a Supertrapp,2.5" exhaust(no cat),dual outlet manifold and techtonics
>downpipe on my 8V. The setup definitely made more power. I liked the
>sound, but many people found it somewhat annoying.

I'd tend to agree.  Annoying.  Sorry, Brad.  Supertrapps resonate badly on
VWs - a local competitor has an ITB Rabbit w/Supertrapp - no interior, roll
cage, etc, you'd expect it to resonate.  OK, that's cool.  Recently,
someone else showed up with an 82 Rabbit 4 door(Alan?  You alive?) and a
Supertrapp - full interior, and it sounded just like the ITB car.
Resonated, hollow sounding, feel like I'm in a trashcan......

With a large exhaust, any
>decent performance muffler should work well. The sounds I've heard that I
>really like are Borlas. I seem to recall someone either here or in the
>newsgroup using a Porsche 944 muffler, which also sounds pretty cool, and
>you may be able to find one reasonably.

That's Peter Tong from the newsgroup.  Never heard that, but I'd guess the
944 muffler is a Leistritz.

 The nice thing about the Borlas and
>some others, is that they have a much quieter 'burble' at idle and when not
>really getting on it, while the Supertrapp is always loud.
>
>Brad

Gotta put in my 2c for the Flowmaster.  It is loud, but not in the car -
the sound stays outside, it flows well(FWIW, Supertrapps are not known to
make the best power on VWs - not bad, but there are better), only downside
to the Fmaster is weight, about 15 pounds more than the competition.
Darrell Adams has one, he seems to like it.  Mine is 2-3 years old now,
still in great shape.  TTYS!

Mannix