Re: Gear lube leak

On Tue, 02 Sep 1997 07:09:40 Paul Hanley <duckie@bellatlantic.net>
writes:
>Hello All:
>
>It appears that I have a gear lube leak from my trans. When I park the
>car, I can see a drip or more of fluid at the bottom of the bell
housing.
>It appears that it is leaking through the seal at the driver side drive
>shaft.
>Is this something that can be repaired without removing the trans? I
>can't believe this, it happens right after I changed to MT-90.

Do you mean its leaking from the drivers side axle seal? Im assuming this
is what you mean. You can replace this seal with the trans in the car.
You will need the special tool to remove the CV bolts to get the axle out
and the special tool to press the axle flange in to get the retaining
clip off.  Then its just a matter of removing and pressing in the new
seal.

Ive heard that synthetic has a way of defeating old seals. If your gonna
replace one seal, you might as well finish the job and replace the other
seal or run the risk of it leaking too. This would make me suspicious of
the 2 seals inside the tranny. if the outter seals are leaking, chances
are good that the inner seals can leak just as easily. if the seal is
leaking from just old age id be afraid. if its leaking from a bad inner
CV causing excessive wear, then I wouldn't be too fearfull of it
destroying your clutch.

>Also, where are the bolts on the engine side of the firewall, that
>hold the dashboard in?
>
>Thanks for the help.
>
>Regards,
>Paul Hanley

I was under the impression that there are a few studs that hold the dash
in. Their locations are unknown to me. its one of the few things I
haven't done to my car yet.....
HTH!!

	Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and