Re: Cold Starts!

Christopher Mende wrote:

> Howdy all! Happy Halloween, and hopefully there are some of us who are
>
> managing to avoid the approaching cold weather!
>
> Speaking of... here is my question:
>
> As with many older cars, cold weather plays havoc. My '84 8v fires
> right
> up, just a soon as I touch the key as long as the weather is in the
> 40's
> or above.
>
> Once it gets below that, I have to crank it for a few seconds, and it
> doesn't sound pretty. At that initial crank, it's as if the engine
> WANTS
> to start, but something seems to slip up and and the cranking speeds
> up
> until the engine finally putters to life.  What would be a couple of
> the
> key things to look at which might be specifically affected by these
> temp
> ranges.
>
> All the VW's I've ever owned always seem to run the strongest when
> outside
> temp is near 40 degrees (F).
>
> What about preventive measure? (No, I'm NOT gonna hook up a heater to
> it!
> :-) Would turning the key to engage current and letting sit there for
> number of seconds help anything? I should try that...
>
> Lastly: NO matter what the temp, the car kicks in at roughly 1000rpms,
>
> shouldn't it be stepping up to a cold-idle for a minute or two??
>
> I really appreciate any info you guys can give me on this...
>
> ~C
> '84 8v from the soon-to-be-frozen lands

Chris, have you not seen many discussions on the infamous O2 sensor/fuel
injectors?
The O2 sensor, once replaced will make that problem go away, and if it
continues replace injectors, and your engine will be cherry
--
dharma

85 scirocco 8v (Gracias for the help on it guys)
88 Golf GTI (pushed to 1 month away by lack of a raise)

http://www.cocoloco.com/david/rocco.htm