Re: Cooling Upgrades

In a message dated 97-10-30 10:44:01 EST, skerocdriver@juno.com (SHAWN C MEZE)
writes:

<< On Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:24:55 +0100 Roland <toker@oden.se> writes:
 >Go and find a radiotor from a golf diesel or turbodiesel. They should be
 >bigger, or take the radiotor from a 16V golf/scirocco. If you increase
 the
 >volume of water in the system it makes it run cooler in normal and hard
 >driiving. Going with the system that has an expansion tank is also a
 good idea.

 >Scirocco 1,6l TIC -82

 You know, if your cooling system is working at its best (IE, water
 jackets are clear, radiator is clear, thermostat is operating properly,
 water pump is working properly and the fan operates as it should.) then
 you should'nt ever have problems with overheating. (unless of course your
 pumping out 180hp+ or something. Im speaking about stock VW's in
 general.)

 Id suggest you look into WHY your cooling system isn't working up to par
 first instead of the above changes. You might get an increase in cooling
 but whatever the problem was to begin with, will still be there. Food for
 thought is all.  >>

Amen Shawn,
A larger radiator will just give you a larger heat sink.  That is, longer time
before the fan switches on.  The thermostat will still only open when the
temp. is up.  I have a '84 GTI in my bay and use the stock '78 radiator... no
problems for 13 years and running.

-dick-
'78 Scirocco
Original Owner.