Re: 1.8 16v -> A1 Conversion

> Date:          Wed, 29 Oct 1997 10:37:55 -0500
> From:          brett@kodak.com (Brett VanSprewenburg)
> To:            scirocco-l@privateI.com
> Subject:       1.8 16v -> A1 Conversion

> This is only somewhat Scirocco related....
>

> I'm buying a 1986 16v Scirocco with the intent of transplanting the
> engine into my friends 1981 Rabbit convertible.  I know many of you
> would advise just going with a stronger 8v motor, but there are
> a couple of things to consider...1. price/opprutunity.  We're buying
> the entire car for $400. 2. coolness factor.  Sure a built 8v
> motor can catch an eat a stock 1.8 16v, but a 16v plant in a car
> where it doesn't belong is, just, well, ya know...neat (for lack of
> a better word).  Besides, for serious HP that anemic 1.7 in his '81
> just *has* to go. :-)

aren't any mods we do for coolness factor?

> So, for anyone who's done this modification before...what can you
> tell me to look out for?  I'm guessing that the electrical system
> is the biggest hangup, followed by the exhaust.  Any advice on either
> of these areas?  Is it possible to get rid of the problematic (and
> expensive) Scirocco 16v downpipe during this conversion?  I'd like to
> stay smog legal with a cat... Also Is it possible to use the FF code
> tranny from his '81? My personal opinion is probably not, right?
> The reason I ask is that the 16v tranny on the car pops out of/and
> grinds mightily in reverse. Any suggestions in that arena?
> Anyone have a suitable replacement tranny forsale? :-/

Shawn it right about the clutch.  But I've done the same thing and
I've got the small inner CV joints.  Unfortunately, one of them is
getting ready to blow in a big way with all that knocking and
everything.  Wiring isn't too bad, i don't have completely everything
hooked up yet..  no oxygen sensor,  and my knock sensor box is fried
so I have the old electronic ignition on.
I custom built my downpipe with stainless steel cause the one I got
was from a GTI.  But even then I couldn't use the flex part cause the
shifter arm runs right into one of those side things on the flex.  I'm sure a
rabbit has more room back there so it shouldn't hit at all.