Subject: Re: Fuel filters...
Author:  "Gregory N." <newrock24@rocketmail.com> at TGATE
Date:    10/29/97 4.23 pm

> I'm not familiar with a fuel filter in the rear of the early cars, is
> this a retrofit of some kind?  Could you be refering to a canister
> behind the passenger side rear tire?  This canister has 2 lines
attached
> to at the same (forward) end and is actually called an accumulator.
> Inside (I know because I sawed one in half :-) ) is a tightly wound
> spring with a plate attached to the end near the fuel end.  This is
> designed to generate a more even fuel pressure flow for the engine.
> The canister gets fuel from the pump, the spring/plate combo absorb
> pump pressure irregularities, and the fuel goes up to the engine.
>

> ==Brett
> --

    I'm not sure if this is common among all sciroccos, but whenever I
turn the key on my car I hear a loud buzzing sound coming from the
area where this accumulator would be. Does anyone else have this
happen to them? I was wondering if there was a way to dampen the
sound. Some times you can barely hear anything, then there are times
when it is so loud I can hear it over my stereo, as long as I don't
crank the stereo.
    Thanks........... Greg.    red 88 16v