Engine Revving during gear shift....

  '82 VW Scirocco, 5 spd, 1.7L engine....

 my engine has begun to revve up when I depress the clutch to either
downshift or upshift.....
 after I return to first gear and the car returns to normal idle (sometimes)
then the engine will not revve up for a while when I depress the clutch to
shift gears - until I drive for a while or come to another stop......
 then it'll start doing the revving thing again.....
   any ideas would be appreciated.....
thanks....