Re: Wheels

> >> Will a 17X7.5 fit under a MK2 without mods?
> >> with 205/40/17 wheels
> >
> >    Well if I get a friend of mine *Bradley* over here with his 16V I can
> >throw on my 17x7.5 with 35mm offset on and we can see where it might hit.
> >I will see if he is up to it sometime.
> >
> > Andre'
>
> Let me save you the trouble.  I bolted a friend's 17x7 Fitti Exclusive
> w/Conti CZ91 (?) 205/40 to my left rear corner and it wanst' pretty.  It
> looked great, sort of DTM-ish, but I could tell wheel/fender interactions
> would be a nightmare.  Major clearancing would be required at the front and
> back of the wheelwell, and suspension travel upwards would have to be
> limited; either that or convert to coilovers and increase neg. camber a few
> degrees.  Want people in the back seat?  Forget about it....
>
> Tons of people have put 17s on Mk IIs, so it can be done, but it will
> require taking the plastic liner out of the well and cutting down the
> fender lip (sacrificing strength).....and if you still get interference,
> the exposed metal could cut the shit out of your nice new 17" rubber.

First, I have no credentials for answering this question. (I'm not sure I care
about the answer since I have a Mk 1.) But, the Nov. 97 issue of The GOLF has
a big section on Wheels and Suspensions. Their recommendation for a Mk 2 is
for everyday use limit: 7x16in, 35mm offset, 205x45 rubber. Advised top limit:
7.5x17in, 35mm offset, 205x40 rubber. They say that 205s are not too much of
a problem but 215s require extensive mods. 2.25in coil overs are more of a
problem than stock suspension and rub on the tire. New bump stops may be
required. The fronts are a real problem if the car has been lowered. Tire
catches on front wing (fender). Replace with G60 wing which has different inner
arch. Limit drop to 60mm unless using 2.25in coil overs then 90mm. Again
and again they mention how critical offset is. (They call it ET, "Einpress
Tiefe" in German. )

HTH.
Bob Farrell       bfarrell@ti.com