Re: What does a dying water pump sound like?/More brake q's

Hello from the Massachusetts Lurker-

Greg Baxter <gbaxter@valleybrook.com> says he's got a diesel-like noise
from something belt driven.

I had the same problem earlier this summer, I guess now it's "this past summer."
It turned out that the bolt-like thing holding the alternator to the block
was broken.  The only thing locating the alternator was the 'adjustment'
screw on the arm sticking out from the block (toward the front of the car).
It dawns on me now that you should know I have an '84, so that's the 8V
engine.  The rattle was from the alternator bouncing off the block.
Bummer.  I replaced that bolt with a 'suitable alternative' and the problem
was solved.  I could stop the noise by holding onto the alternator while
the car was running, so you may want to try that, although not as a
permanent fix... Ha Ha Ha.

Since my car is usually running pretty well, (Knock on wood) I am free to
think of other, more esoteric things like the following:

What is the spiritual ancestor of our car?  Ok, the Karmann Ghia is
obvious, same as a Type 1 underneath, but more appealing outside.  But, I
was recently reading about the Volvo P1800's, so... what do you think of
that car as an analogy for the Scirocco?  (I guess I just want to stop
reading about the NSX and other Japanese cars for a while, so I'll bring in
Sweden.)  Any other ideas?
Look for a company that makes utilitarian cars (for the most part, that's
Volkswagen's bread and butter) and branched out to something more sporty
for a bit.  (I'll mention it,  OK, the 240Z.  There, it's Japanese, too.
Grrr.)

Feel free to return to the exhaust discussion now.  Thanks for listening.

                -Ed.
84 'rocco.