Re: What does a dying water pump sound like?/More brake q's

Greg Baxter wrote:

> Hey everyone -
>
> The past few mornings, I've noticed that the engine in my rocco is sounding
> ummm, kinda like a diesel... (I'm afraid that's the best description that I
> can come up with - an unusually loud, rumbling sort of noise.)
>
> Upon closer inspection, the offending sound appears to be coming from one
> of the belt-driven devices (water pump or alternator, I have no A/C or
> Power steering...) or maybe from the timing belt. I thought that it was
> because of the 20w50 I'm running, and the cold mornings, but it sounded
> like that when I arrived at work after an hours' drive. The engine seems to
> be cooling properly, but I'm unsure if the water pump is on its last legs,
> or what's going on...

When the tensoiner went on my 16V it sounded just like a pump bearing or
accesory failure. Its real easy to check, just remove the top portion of
timeing belt cover and look  for metal filings or play in the tensioner.
You could probably also tell just by getting close to it while it
running (caution: dont wear a tie).

hth
shannon
87 16Volt