What does a dying water pump sound like?/More brake q's

Hey everyone -

The past few mornings, I've noticed that the engine in my rocco is sounding
ummm, kinda like a diesel... (I'm afraid that's the best description that I
can come up with - an unusually loud, rumbling sort of noise.)

Upon closer inspection, the offending sound appears to be coming from one
of the belt-driven devices (water pump or alternator, I have no A/C or
Power steering...) or maybe from the timing belt. I thought that it was
because of the 20w50 I'm running, and the cold mornings, but it sounded
like that when I arrived at work after an hours' drive. The engine seems to
be cooling properly, but I'm unsure if the water pump is on its last legs,
or what's going on...

A further question to do with my brakes: I told the guy that I bought the
seized calipers about my problem, and he gave me a pair of
brand-spanking-new looking GTI brake SETS! (Axles, discs, calipers,
carriers, lines, pads, everything!) I haven't gone underneath to work on
them, but I just wanna know, if any (A2) GTI rear disc setups were
interchangeable with S16v setups. It seems that the discs are the same
size, but I'd really like to bolt up these new axles and go the whole nine
yards... That being said, I'd rather not waste a day removing what's on
there to find out that I can't put these new ones on...

Anyone? Anyone?

Thanks as always,

Greg
82 Scirocco 1.8 8v