Re: Hey all!

On Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:52:17 -0600 (MDT) Night Shadow
<soltwede@ucsub.Colorado.EDU> writes:

>Do you know how many times I heard that? We should make "The
>Autocrossers Bible"...that would be the first commandment!

Heh, naw, that would be second after, "Put your number and class on your
friggin' car where I can see it."
Im sick of having to ask someone on the grid what their number is and I
get this giggly answer back from some chick saying her husband forgot to
put it on the car for her.......... GGGRRR!!!!
Yeah, I work in the timming trailer..... how could you tell?

>Yeah, I tried, Mannix was a instructor and he ran with me, yelling
"Right,
>left, right, keep it on the floor!"...have to go to a empty pakinglot
and
>try it faster and faster.....

There s different approaches to slaloms. it sounds like Mannix likes the
accelerate to the cone, then brake, then accelerate to the next cone
method? Sounds like it. It also depends on the slalom section. Ive been
on courses where the slalom was WOT. Rare. Most were evenly spaced and
just using the maintained throttle method works great for me. Sure, be
fast, push the limits but also be smooth in doing it. Its tempting to jab
the gas and stomp the brakes method while going through the slalom. To
me, it seems that the smoother is really faster and when its over, your
better set for the next section. I dunno, maybe a few other autoxers have
different opinions on this aspect. Id sure like to hear it.

>> Fuel starvation:

>I *had* 1/2 tank!....I'll have to try as full as possible, as the
transfer
>pump thing isn't something I want to get into at this point, but thanks
>for the suggestion!

That's why I bring with me 2 gallons. I always show up with 1/2 tank.
Some courses will have a long ass sweeping right hander and if the cars
suspension is working right, it WILL chug. from all those G forces
throwing the fuel away from the fuel pickup. At one event at Norton AFB
there was a long 360 right hand turn that was on sticky asphalt and
transversed onto slick concrete near the finish of the turn. Good thing
for me because it was slick because with over 3/4 tank of fuel, I still
had fuel starvation! Had i had more traction, it would of been nasty, not
to mention pissed me off.

>Alot of people have been interested in this, *IF* there is 2 of them
then
>I will have to do a stupid bid thing or something...I'll find out
>tomarrow...

Ah well. I have a T-shirt. I dont need a scirocco reflector thingie.
Would of been nice but oh well.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and