Re: Self Adjusting brakes <was: A4 VW's & Driving bare foot>

>     Years ago, a local VW shop informed be that the rear brakes on a VW
>     are self adjusted along with the e-brake.  On drums, if you have ever
>     been in there is the wedge like piece, that is the self-adjuster, and
>     activating the e-brake assists in positioning it, thereby adjusting
>     optimally.  In order to have fully functional rear brakes, you must
>     have a working e-brake.  Rear disks are also adjusted via the e-brake,
>     and in general failure to use the e-brake on a rear disk car seems to
>     facilitate rear caliper seizure from my experience.
>
>     Try this, I notice it most on my 16v with rear disks....Pull the
>     e-brake while moving and hit the brakes slightly after pulling and
>     holding the e-brake, your pedal feel should feel higher.
>
>     DISCLAIMER:  I did not read this in the Bently's (of which I own 4) so
>     this may be the advice of a wrongly educated person. :)
>
>     -Paul
>     90 Audi 90 Quattro 20v
>     87 Scirocco 16v
>     87 Jetta GLi
>     63 Bug

I think you are right about the wedge piece but the drum brakes on my '81
also have a paddle wheel that can be adjusted by a screwdriver poked into a
hole on the backing plate.  I don't have my manuals here either so I'm
going on a few moldy memories.  Hope I haven't confused anybody (HIHCA?)
benton-----