Re: Flywheel

At 22:03 5/6/96 -0700, you wrote:
>Carl Slayton wrote:
>>
>> I read somewhere that lightening your flywheel will give you quicker times
>> out of the hole and out of corners. Any truth to this and any drawbacks?
>
>	I have heard this too, but I think that it is one of those things are
>price-prohibitive.   I wanted to do that when I blew my tranny into next
>week, but the mechanic quoted me a price of about $450 CDN ($270
>US...calculator is nowhere in sight, so I used my melon on this one).
>
>	On top of that, was the fact that he would have to send it elsewhere
>for however long.  So I dunno, see what everyone else says, hopefully
>someone knows for sure...
>

>jason
>87 16V

Any good auto machine shop should be able to do this in a couple of hours.
Performance shops do it all the time - so unless you live way out in the
sticks, there should be someone who can do it locally. I would recommend the
speed shop unless you know the auto shop has experience, though.

If my lathe was bigger, I would not be afraid to try this mod at home. It
does occur to me that you need to re-balance the wheel after you trim it -
maybe this is a good reason NOT to do it at home?

If you get a flywheel resurfaced - does that affect the balance? Not sure.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)
'58 Ghia Convert