Re: Flywheel

At 20:10 10/6/97 -0000, you wrote:
>I read somewhere that lightening your flywheel will give you quicker times
>out of the hole and out of corners. Any truth to this and any drawbacks?

The lighter the flywheel, the faster the engine can accelerate - less mass
in the drive train to spin up. If you get too light, the engine will not
like to idle smoothly at normal speeds, so beware going whole hog on this. I
don't know figures on how much to remove for Sciroccos, but Beetles used to
get by with flywheels cut to about 1/2 the stock weight.

Another thing to watch - the lightened flywheel might be weakened if done
wrong.

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (single wiper!!)