a/c compressor

My a/c on my '82 went south on Friday; it blew real cold up to that point, and
then just didn't.  The blower still works fine.  It appears that the
compressor clutch isn't engaging; I'm pretty sure the problem lies somewhere
in that direction.  Before I get out the tester probe and frustrate myself
silly, is anyone aware of a place this circuit's more likely to break than
others?