Tech-Timing marks

mark.peele@juno.com (Mark A. Peele) writes:
>When I time my engines, I always use the "0" timing mark on the
>flywheel. The literature always talks about advancing or
>retarding the ignition. In this case, the ND page referred to
>recommends 6 degrees BTDC. How do you determine where 6 degrees
>BTDC (before top dead center) is?

On the 190 mm flywheel there is a 3 degree retarded mark so you can
eyeball it the same distance on the other side of the 0 mark to give
you 3 degrees then double it to 6 degrees. The best way is to have a
timing light with a advance function then you can be more accurate.
On the 210mm 1.8 flywheels the indent mark is 6 degrees advanced.