wheel bearings

I noticed a new noise last night...  barely audible, but upsetting
anyways.  I'm thinking it's a front wheel bearing - it's not a growling
noise yet, but I think that's what it will be when it grows up  :)  It
goes away when I turn hard left, and gets louder when I turn hard
right.  I've already checked the obvious, wheels are tight, brakes are
fine, cv joints tight, etc.  Am I correct in my diagnosis?  Which side
is the culprit, I mean does a noisy bearing get louder with load or
unloaded?

Thanks in advance for your help.

John

'87 16v Scirocco
'86 GTi
'85 Jetta diesel
'82 diesel pickup
'69 baja Beetle
parts cars - '80 Rabbit diesel, '82 Scirocco, '86 GTi