Re: shortened shifter.

>        It takes a little more effort, but not much, it makes the shifts
>feel a little crisper.  Would a weighted shift rod help the effort, or is
>that for something completly different?

IMO a weighted rod makes the shifting action smoother but heavier.  It's
nice, and makes fast 1-2 shifts a little easier, but don't expect it to
transform your shifter into something in an M3.  There's actually less
feedback, and it almost feels like my linkage needs to be regreased...maybe
it does, who knows? :)  Overall I like it better.