Re: 1989 8v Needs Werk lots

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997 19:57:17 +0000 "Mawster Chadwick"
>I have an 89 rocco now.  Paid for in full.  Upon inspection, (duh, I
gave the
>guy the certified check before I took it in) there was much more than
>met the eye.

I dunno about your local law but we have a few laws that protect us
buyers/sellers from this sort of problem.
We have 3 days to return the car if its not what you expected. We also
have the "as is" clause which means that the seller isn't gonna fix
anything on the car. Its sold, "as is". Then we have the lemon law which
makes the seller fix a car before he can sell it. If he doesn't, and you
buy a total basket case, then he's liable for the repairs, or replacement
of such a vehicle. Kinda cool.

>Bent frame. (front right rail, lower left control arm housing)
>the control arm housing looks to be welded back on, by a total amateur
>4 Bent Wheels (I already knew the tires were bald)
>2 Bent Control Arms.
>Bent Rear Axle
>
>The fellow is kind enough to stand behind what he has, and claims he had
no
>foreknowledge of the extent of the damage to the car.  He will give me
back 500
>bucks, or get all the parts I need.  I think I'll have him get me all
the parts.

$500 to fix all that?? its gonna take more than $500 to fix the frame
rail, I would expect. A USED rear axle and a couple control arms would
cost @ $250 or so. I dunno, it really sounds like a parts car to me since
the chassis is bent but if you can fix it, go for it!

>This car was the biggest mistake of my life.
>Moral:  Have the car inspected professionally by a DEALER before you
>even think of buying it.
>Chad Ptasinski

I cant stress enough that if your not mechanically inclined to look close
at a used car (I mean L00K CL0SE!) then by all means, take it to a shop
that does "used car" or "Pre Purchase" inspections. It cost about $50.
its a damn fine investment and the worse thing is your out $50 instead of
..... how much did you pay Chad??
You get my point.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and