Jumping Fuel Pump Relay

I'm checking the fuel flow through the injectors on my '86 16v this weekend,
and I understand I need to remove the fuel pump relay underneath my dash and
place a jumper wire between the two oversized connections.  My question is,
what will work as a jumper wire?  My Bentley manual tells me I should either
use a VW Special Tool (it seems to say this a lot!), or construct my own
jumper wire with 16 gauge wire and an in-line fuse holder with a 20 amp
fuse.  My initial thought was to use an electrical check screwdriver with a
bulb and two crocodile clips that I own, but it's not fused.  Any
recommendations here?

Regards,
Wayne Cressman
Holy Mackerel! Media, Inc.