Re: Insurance offer: what the better deal?

Greg schilhab wrote:

> I'm experiencing alot of cognitive dissonance on the deal I was just
> offered. Kissing my recoved 16V goodbye and getting a new one or bringing
> it back from the dead with settlement money.
>
> Here's the deal from my insurance co. (canadian bucks $1.00 US= 0.72 CAN)
>
> Door number 1: Insurance co. totals my car. I get $4100 + 8%(tax)= $4428
> for a new car. The 16V I'm looking at is perfect but stock and is $4500 +
> 8% = $4860
>
> Door number 2: Insurance co.gives me $4100-$1066 (salvage for my car) =
> $3,034
> I then would have my car plus $3,034 to undo the damage.
>
> This is what I _know_ I need due to the thievery.
> 1 stainless 2.25 techtonics downtube/catalytic pipe (Flex was sheared off)
> 1 momo leather steering wheel
> 1 momo anatomic leather shifter
> 1 shifter bushing and cup set
> 1 sliding heater control w/ cable (to core) I think the whole assembly is
> demo'd
> 3 Badges from hatch: 1 VW silver and the 2 16V ones
> 2 new tires
>
> Thats just the known stuff missing (there may very well be be other
> damage) I'll also need:
>
> Parking brake fixed (who knows-possibly rear calipers as well)
> 2 rims straightened
> New stereo.
> repair power locks
>
> Gotta decide by tommorro. Any opinions or experiences are heartily
> welcomed.
>
> Greg
Hmmm

    Sounds like the stuff you have to do to get it back to spec are not
basic, elemental stuff to the car.  If the engine is all there, along
with most of the suspension parts, I'd say keep the known commodity.
You already know the quirks of that particular vehicle.

Lloyd
86 16V  (In need of aesthetic help)
85 Golf  (Still running strong!)