Re: Questions about timing belt

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997 04:24:20 -0600 Brandon Colvin <bcolvin@hiwaay.net>
writes:
>I think it is about time for a timing belt on my '87 16v.
>I cant afford to pay somebody to do it for me (because I am
>saving for a transmision)
>I want to know from some people that have changed their
>timing belt.

>Brandon Colvin
>mailto:bcolvin@hiwaay.net
>http://fly.hiwaay.net/~bcolvin/

I have done many.
It is pretty easy, especially on a 16V.
It shouldn't take too long, and you don't need any air tools.
They only special tool you need, is a special spanner made for tightening
the tensioner. You can get by without it, but it makes it a lot easier.
And a couple allen wrenches, I guess. (not too special)

I would suggest ALWAYS replace the tensioner when you replace the belt,
since that is what normally makes the belt break.
And ALWAYS use german parts ONLY!!!!
Don't try to go cheap and buy them at your local discount parts store. It
ain't worth it.

If you don't have a Bently manual, I will try to give you in depth
instructions, if you want. When I can, I'll make the time.