dissassembling head

Do I really need the special VW tool to remove the valves? I poped
the cams out and the valve guides out but now i have no clue where
to go from here. Bentley says something about a tool, and even a tool
to check the valves, by inserting something down the shaft..but I
don't have holes in the middle of my valves??

Also i didnt have any hyd cam guides or bearings or whatevers. all
there was were the U shaped brackets holding the cams down to the
block, and the cams themselves. hrmm confusing. is the 2.0L that
much different than the 1.8L?

Ryan