Re: scirocco question

On Tue, 18 Nov 1997 14:17:04 -0500 (EST) Rich Deede----TOOL FAN
<rdeed@UDel.Edu> writes:
>I just bought an '87 scirocco 16 valve and I was told to join this
mailing
>list for all the best information so I figured that I would ask you all
>couple of question I had about my car, seeing as I'm not in the least
bit
>a mechanic.

Hi Rich! Welcome to the list. This is the place to be if you wanna learn
about your car.

>My first question is for some reason my trunk just will NOT open even
>though the key will go in and turn, it just won't unlatch itself and
lift
>up.  If I go inside the car though I mess with the lock from inside the
>hatch and I can then get it to pop open, does anyone have any idea what
>the problem might be?

I love new owners! :)

Your Hatch, wont open because of either the latching mechanism is not
operating properly or the 2 little black round thingies on the lower sill
are adjusted out too tight.

First things first. Open the hatch and using a screw driver, simulate the
latch closing by pressing up on the lever. it should click shut. Was it
quick and smooth or did it take some effort?? It should be quick and
smooth. Then press on the button to open it. it should open easily. Get a
can of your favorite spray penetrate (WD40, Liquid Wrench. Whatever.) and
spray the latch mechanism. Repeat. It should work right if it was a
little dry. If not, you may need to replace the whole latch mechanism.

>My other question is the lever on the driver seat that you pick up to
drop
>the upper part of the seat and allow people in to the back will not do
>anything and I can't fold the drivers seat down.  Is there anyway this
can
>be fixed easily or is this a difficult project?

This is a difficult project. Ive never done it but you will need to get
into the seat back. Im sure somebody here who has done this will fess up
to what's involved in doing this fix.

>My last question is, the drivers side door hydraulic arm that holds the
>door open is not working and the door will not stay open unless I hold
it
>open.  Again is this something easy and cheap that I could do on my own
or
>is this going to be an expensive project that I'm going to have to have
>professional look at.
>I thank you guys for your help,
>Rich
>1987 scirocco 16v-Black

That's it?? Those are you biggest problems?? AWESOME!!!!!! Sounds like
you got a great car there Rich! Good deal.
Well, this last one is one ive never eyed before. I had to go out and
look at my car to be fresh with what's involved. All i see is the flat
piece going into the door. Ive had the door panel off before but Don't
remember what the mechanism looks like. I guess you could go to he junk
yard and take the door panel off of any MK-II Scirocco and take that
piece. Now that you mention it, I usually gotta catch the door with my
foot as im getting in or it springs back at me. Maybe I should be looking
into getting this piece myself.
You should be able to do this yourself, no problem.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and
http://home1.gte.net/vwfan/meze/hello/