Re: Dem lobes

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997 06:16:35 -0800 Benton Yoshida
<byoshida@zygote.hsc.usc.edu> writes:
>While peering into the oil filler cap, I've noticed that every surface
>except the cam lobes has a dark "varnish" like coating on it.  Is this
>normal?  The '88 Accord that I had had a clean looking head.

Yeah, this is typical on a car your age. Oil tends to varnish the insides
of the head and related components. Its the petroleum finish you got.
Very trendy!

>The pointy part of the cam lobe looks pretty worn and I can see the
>different layer of the metal which has been worn away--looks like a topo
>map.  The car has a little over 120K on it.  The other Scirocco I had
also
>had this condition.  Is this normal wear?  Are VW cams made of not very
>hard metal?

WOW! Sounds like the original owner of your motor didn't break it in
properly. Unless this is typical and all the motors that i've torn apart
were special non wearing cams. Ive never seen one flattened in a VW. I've
flattened a few cams in the funnycar. Not the same. The only real way for
sure is to measure the cam length and see how different all the intake
lobes measure up. (You will need a set of calipers. I like the dial
indicating because I don't gotta figure it out by reading it. It just
says what it is. Im lazy.)
Then measure all of the exhaust lobes and see how much of a difference
you got there between those 4 lobes. That will tell you if you have an
excessive wear problem.
I have a few stock cams laying around in the garage if you need them.
(1.7L right?)

>Is there an easy way of removing the shims from the buckets without
getting
>the real tools?  I tried using a large screwdriver but it seemed like I
was
>gouging the followers and it was hard pushing them down.
>The usual thanx apply, benton-----

There is, but I think you have discovered it for yourself. You really can
mar up the lifter tapets by using anything but the right tool for this
job. I think Autotech sells the tool for less than $15.00? Something like
that. Its well worth buying it since not only doers it not chew up
tapets, but it really makes depressing the tapets easier since the tool
is tapered. I have an old tool I got way back when I had a FIAT. It
doesn't work quite as good as the VW tool, but it got the job done. (Hey,
there's another great stocking stuffer you guys can get me for Xmas!!
See, im full of cool gift ideas!!)
The usual HTH, shawn-----