Re: Mixture? Oil Pressure? Strange Happenings!

At 23:50 11/15/97 -0600, you wrote:
>I was catching - up on digest reading and notice the posts concerning
>"adjusting mixture". I had a VERY strange occurrence last weekend on the
>2nd to the last lap of a race.......Has anyone had something similar to
>this.....
>
>Scenario: 3hr 30min into driving at very high rpms......
>
> #1 K&N Mixture Ratio Gauge Goes WAY RICH!!! Pegs Out at 12:1
>
> #2 Seconds Later.... Oil Pressure Shoots to 150psi, Pegged Out!
>
> "Holy Sh!t!!!!!! Much have turned a bearing! Might as well keep on going!"
>
> #3 Alternator Fries.... May sound strange, but I swear I could smell and
>hear it.
>
>Post Race:
>
> #1 Engine Running Fine - Oil Pressure Gauge Pegs at 150psi whenever
>ignition is turned on!
>
> #2 Mixture Did Go Super Rich!!! Pulled plugs and could really smell the
>gas and the plugs are WET with gas!
>
> #3 Alternator is Toasted! Overload? Who knows, have not had a chance to
>test it.
>
>The whole series of events were a little unsettling considering the
>conditions, but the engine is fine. Hooked a mechanical gauge to the engine
>and oil pressure is perfect. What is the warranty on VDO oil pressure gauge
>and sender? And after replacing the alternator, mixture is fine and plugs
>are perfect!?!?!? Most Unusual!!
>
>Harry

I bet the alternator regulator failed - the voltage to the system went up,
causing the mixture and oil pressure 'malfunctions' (just bad information on
the oil pressure, who knows on the mixture!) and then the alternator cooked
itself. Did you notice if the battery was trying to boil over?

Chuck Kuecker

ckuecker@mcs.net

'83 Scirocco (Katy's car now)
'58 Ghia Convert