Re: proposed anti-theft device

> This is exactly what I've had in my Scirocco for the past 3 years.  I use a
> small black switch under the dash.  Even when I tell people exactly where
> the switch is, they still have trouble finding it.  Each and every time I get
> out of
> the car (no matter what) I flip it off.  It gives me great peace of mind
> knowing that the only way to steal the car is to tow it away.

  This was covered in the issue of EC that had the engine chart in it(either
6/90 or 8/90).  If you put a switch in the line from the ingition coil to
the pump relay, it'll turn over, maybe even start, but die quickly.

  One of the funniest kill switches I've ever seen was a guy at Georgia Tech
who had one in his Jetta. I needed to move it, so he gave me the key, but
didn't tell me about the kill switch. I hop in, try to start it, nothing.
The clock isn't on, no power whatsoever. So, since he didn't give me an
alarm transmitter, I think "kill switch". I look down, and its a huge switch
on the bottom of the steering column. Took me all of 5 seconds to figure
that one out. And he the switch wired that everything was shut off, so that
every time he used it, the radio presets were lost, and the clock was shut
down. Needless to say, the guy wasn't an electrical engineering student:).

Brad