From: GYPS16A@prodigy.com ( GEOFF K ZIMMER)
To: duckie@bellatlantic.net
Cc: scirocco-l@privateI.com
Subject: Motronic years?
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 16:43:26, -0500

Paul,
I do not know whin / if VW ever went to true Motronic. In '87 they
started introducing Digifant, which is very similar to Motronic, but
not quite. (And can be problematic and has drivability problems)
     As for VW getting the leftovers, that is exactly true. Remember,
at one time they were fairly reasonably priced cars, (No more...) and
one of the ways to produce an inexpensive car is to not use cutting
edge technology. As an example, my '78 Volvo had CIS with an oxygen
sensor, while VW didn't start using oxy sensors until '83, and even
then only on GTI's. (And California, of course)
     Bosch makes products for the open market, and the expensive
brands get the good stuff first.
           Geoff