From: brett@kodak.com (Brett VanSprewenburg)
To: scirocco-l@privateI.com
Subject: What did YOU do...
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 1997 15:58:23 -0500

So, winter is here.  My area in upstate NY is presently getting DUMPED on
with
10+ inches of snow.  For those of you in warmer climates, just use your
imaginations.  Like so many years before, I've put away my 1988 16v
Scirocco
so that I may protect it from the ravages of winter (and idiot
can't-drivers).
Never fear though, my trusty 1985 Scirocco is seeing me through the harsh
conditions.

So I thought that I'd get some traffic going with a list of what I
accomplished
with my car this year before putting it away.  I just thought I'd share
my
accomplishments with like minded individuals.  Please feel free to tell
your
own stories.

Here's mine.

I kinda got a lot more serious about modifications and fixing the car
this year.
Oh sure, I took care of it, but exposure to all the 'wackos' on this list
and
web in general made me see the lengths to which I could go with my car.
In
short I:

-added a 22mm Autotech front sway bar to match the 25mm Autotech rear
solid
 bar that I'd put on the year before.
-added a three-piece Autotech short-shift kit, and replaced all my shift
 bushings.
-Fixed my odometer on my 120mph speedo unit.  Then bought a parts 16v
car,
 fixed the *160mph* speedo in that car, and installed it in mine.
-Installed European headlights and associated relay circuits.
-Got my Dad in Germany to send me some amber European turnsignals and
installed
 those.
-Installed European bumpers (thanks to Josh) which were already painted
 match my white 16v.
-Drilled out and replaced my ball joints.
-Changed all 4 of my CV joints, the two inners were bad, but hey, while
you've
 got em out...
-Added a Velocity 80% differential kit, but hey, while you've got those
CV joints
 out...
-Added synthentic Redline MTL to my tranny...it was drained for the diff
kit job
 anyway...
-Added Autoring pedalcovers.
-Put on new 16v badges
-Changed my rear brake rotors, pads, and bearings using stock parts
-Changed my front rotors to Velocity slotted rotors and pads to
Ferrodo's.
-Painted the calipers silver while they were off, and the dust guards
black.
-Sold my 3 spoked MSW type 33 rims with BFG ZR3's in preparation for
buying new
 rims next year. (TSW blades or Borbet Type M's with sp8k's)
-Sold my Hor/Boge suspension in preparation for buying new suspension
next
 year. (Koni adj./H&R springs)

I guess that's all!  From my point of view, it was a pretty good year.
While
from my wife's point of view, it was merely expensive. :-)  Does anyone
else
have anything to say about what they did with their car this year?

==Brett