buying a 2.0L

I finally found a 91-92 Passat 16v 2.0L engine! Only thing is...
they say it has 26k on it, I have no way of verifying it. I looked
at the Passat GL it came out of, pretty f-ed up, totaled in the rear,
front fender all bent up and that's all that's left of the
front..evrythign else is gone so I also got no idea if it was hit in
the front..or just that side. What's a decent price to pay? He wants
$1500, but I only feel like paying $1000..but they are just soo rare
where I am...decisions decisions.

Ryan