Re: Fuse HELP!

On Sat, 8 Nov 1997 10:24:27 -0500 joshua14@juno.com (Joshua D Johnson)
writes:
>It's me again...this time the fuse blew out again and when I put in a
>new one it blows when I turn the ignition on.

I had this problem in my GLi and found that my wire from the OX sensor
was grounding out in the steering rack. (Cut boot, wire got into the rack
itself and when turning right, -ZAP-. car died. 15 fuses later and ALOT
of headache and searching later, there it was. Secured the wire (after
repairing the damaged insulation) and another new fuse solved the problem
for me. Perhaps you have a similar problem? Something is definitely
shorting out, someplace. Check all of your wiring along the OX sensor as
well as the fuel pump. Think about any recent modifications you may have
done to your car like drilling, ect. Look in those places (if applicable)

>I've thought about putting a higher gauge in the box and seeing if
>that would cure the problem.

no-No-no-no, no-no-no. (A quote from "Apu", the 7-11 owner on the
Simpsons.)

Adding a higher amperage fuse wont fix the problem. it could actually
make it worse. Im not advocating not trying it.  Say for example if you
were stuck someplace and you just wanted to get it home ect, but for
regular driving, do not go this route. Find the problem, do not ignore it
with quick fixes.

>I just talked to the guy at a good vw shop and he said to try the fuel
>pump relay (seven out of ten times will cure this problem) I'm going
>to try this just for lack of other options.  I asked about bypassing
>the relay and he said he wouldn't recommend it on anything over year
>84 because of the cold start thingy is on the relay as well.
>Joshua
>88 16v

I think we suggested the fuel pump relay, did we not? Replace it and see
what happens. You will either fix the problem, or have a spare fuel pump
relay! :)
At least you will be one step closer to the problem if its not the
problem. As far as running a jumper to run the fuel pump, as i have said
before, its a good way to limp the car home but not as a fix. I wouldn't
worry about the cold start thingy.
HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and