Re: Please assist me! (Jetta Woes)

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 12:18:24 -0800 Greg Baxter <gbaxter@valleybrook.com>
writes:
>Hi Shawn -
>I have checked the fuel pump relay, and it's fine. In neutral, it
stumbles
>around 500 RPM, then might kick back to life, and might not. Your switch

>analogy is perfect - that's exactly what it's like.

This leads me to believe you have an electrical problem. Somewhere,
someplace, there is a bad or loose connection.

>Another thing - on Jan's page, there is a file which suggests that the
>Knock sensor is screwy, and the contacts aren't clean. Does this make
>sense? (Grrr I hate electrical gremlins) Also - after 3000 RPM, the
>Alternator light flickers. (Like the other problem, only sometimes) I
have
>checked the belt, it's good and tight (is there a possibility that it
could
>be *too* tight?)

That sounds reasonable. Id get a can of electrical cleaner and do a
thorough job on all of your ignition connections. Double check your
battery wires so that they are all tight, everywhere. Check the connector
to your alternator. Be sure its firmly in place. Remove it and inspect
it, clean if necessary.
The only thing you will do by having your alt belt too tight is eat up
the water pump. The bearings in the alt can handle the added tightness
much better than the cheap P.O.S. water pump that VW puts in these cars.
By far, the worst water pump ive ever seen in my life. Ive gone through 2
of these things already in my Scirocco (owned it for 4 years) and my WP
is making noise already. I only tighten the belt tight enough so I get an
inch of deflection. Well, the shaft in my pump is loose and making some
bad noises, AGAIN. They just don't last.
Well, like all scenarios, let us know what you find out.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and