Re: Please assist me!

On Thu, 6 Nov 1997 09:46:22 -0800 Greg Baxter <gbaxter@valleybrook.com>
writes:
>I know that this isn't the A2 group, but my newsgroup access (actually,
or
>entire internet server here at work is crappy, sorry if this is a double

>posting...) is sketchy at best, so I'm really hoping that someone can
offer
>some insight. I'm having a bugger of a problem with my 91 Jetta, and I'm

>kinda hoping that I can get some insight from you all.

I dont know ANYTHING about digifuk but i'll give it a shot for you.
(whatever it may be worth to ya.)

>(Usually) after the engine is warm, it will totally lose all power. I
can
>floor it, and get the 'intake noise' that comes with the K&N but
absolutely
>no power. It almost feels like I'm hitting the brake instead of the gas.

>The thing that concerns me most is the fact that it comes and goes so
>irregularly. It seems to worsen if I floor it, but if I have a light
foot
>on the gas, it sometimes will limp along. If it's floored, it might drop

>the RPMs to 1000 or lower, and then suddenly BAM! Hard acceleration, or
>even worse, bucking.

My theory's:

The fuel is stopping, IE, the fuel pump is shutting off and on again.
Fuel pump relay, bad connector to the fuel pump? On a CIS car, id suspect
that the freq valve is intermittant causing a slght dip in fuel delivery.
but it sounds like the motor is shutting off all together? If you put it
in nuetral, does it stall or does it continue to idle? it could also be a
transfer pump, lets not forget that little guy. This is how it sounds to
me.

So your saying it runs fine, and then as if somebody were flicking a
switch, poor running and eventually the "switch" gets turned back on
again, right? Is this a correct description?

>I've thought about, and ruled out the following theories:
>Cap, rotor, plugs (all replaced on the weekend) The air filter is OK (I
>just cleaned the K&N this summer, and it doesn't get driven in dusty
areas)
>There doesn't seem to be any vacuum leaks, the hoses all look good. If
the
>fuel filter was clogged, wouldn't the problem be more
>persistent? Same with timing, or the fuel pump, right? I have recently
put
>a couple of bottles of injector cleaner through, and I only run premium
>grade gas. The tank was 1/4 full when it happened on Friday, but it's
full
>today, and happened to my wife again. (No problems for me this evening,
but
>that's the nature of this problem...)

I think that if the fuel filter were clogged, thats would be it. Clogged
and you would have problems all the time, especially on higher RPM's
where more fuel is in demand. The clogging effect would cut out on you
all the time and get worse until you replace the filter. But since you
say its been cutting out on you then running fune again, id rule out the
fuel filter as the fault.
Again, id suspect something electrical. Like I said in the beginning of
my reply, I know nothing about digifant so perhaps there isnt even a fuel
pump relay like we have in our Scirocco's. (Im sure there is, but have no
proof..)

>I don't want to take it to a shop, cuz they'll be looking through a
whole
>bunch of theories at sixty bucks an hour, so I'd like to rule out as
many
>potential problems as I can now.

Whoa, thats a bad word. He said SHOP. Dont go there unless you absolutely
have to and, got some deep pockets. :)

>What are the symptoms of a clogged cat, or faulty Ox sensor?

Clogged cat would run crappy ALL the time. Faulty ox xensor would run
rich. I'd discount these as your problems as well.

If you want, I could post this to the VW newsgroup and whatever replies I
see there for you I can FWD them to you? Lemme know. I dont want to post
your message there without your permission.
As always, HTH!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and